- Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Psychological Science (PhD)
The Fall 2021 application cycle is now open.
***Due to issues surrounding the current Covid-19 health crisis, the GRE (general) admission requirement has been waived for the Fall 2021 intake.
The PhD program in Psychological Science is a research-intensive program in all areas of psychology including biological, cognitive, individual and social bases of behaviour.
?The Psychological Science graduate curriculum is based on an apprenticeship model with flexible core courses that are appropriate to a student's research area of focus.
NOTE: Students in this program are expected to complete all requirements within a minimum of nine terms (3 years) to a maximum of fifteen terms (5 years) of continuous full-time registration. Candidates must meet a minimum residency of nine terms, all of which must be consecutive.
Applicants for admission must be graduates of a recognized university and show evidence of scholarly achievement. Except where otherwise stated in the Admission Requirements of a particular program, students must have a Masters degree or its equivalent with an academic average as specified by the academic unit. An applicant holding a degree other than one in the discipline area to which admission is sought will be considered on the basis of Master's courses taken and academic standing. A Qualifying Year may be required at the Masters level to meet the admission standards. Courses taken as part of a Qualifying Year cannot be used as credit towards a doctoral degree.
Meeting the minimum requirements does not necessarily guarantee admission. No candidate will be admitted unless the academic unit recommends admission. All applicants will be advised in writing by the Office of Graduate Studies of their admission status.
Program Specific Requirements
In addition to the general admission requirements for PhD programs, the following requirements also apply:
- Applicants to the MSc and PhD Psychological Science programs with or without Collaborative Specializations should be aware that THIS IS NOT a degree that will lead to registration as a Psychologist or Psychological Associate in the Province of Ontario, or the title of "Psychologist" in other provinces, and that this degree does not normally lead to direct admission to the PhD program in Clinical Psychology at Lakehead University
- The admission requirement into the PhD in Psychological Science program is a Master's?degree in Psychological Science, Experimental Psychology, Behavioural Neuroscience, or an equivalent MA or MSc degree that is relevant and suitable to a psychological research area (i.e. biological, cognitive, individual and social bases of behaviour).
- Besides official transcripts and letters of recommendation, applications must include Graduate Record Exams (GRE) scores as assessed within the past five years; and a detailed statement of interests and objectives
- Applicants whose native language is?not English and who have not?studied in an English school system for more than three years will be required to present proof of English facility by achieving an appropriate standing in one of the following test:?
- the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum internet-based score of 100, or a minimum computer-based score of 250, or a minimum paper-based score?of 600?and a score of at least 5.0 on the Test of Written English (TWE); the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) with a minimum score of 90; or the Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) with a minimum score of 80.
- Students entering the PhD in Psychological Science?program with an MA or MSc degree?from a university other than Lakehead University must meet all Lakehead Psychology MSc requirements, including a master's level thesis, on entry
- The Graduate Studies Committee in Psychology, in consultation with the Director of Psychological Science, will review the equivalency of the applicant's academic background relative to the requirements for an MSc?degree in Psychological Science?at Lakehead University (view MSc degree details). Where deficiencies in research areas are noted, the candidate would be directed, if?admitted, to take the identified course(s) in addition to the course requirements of the PhD program. Applicants to the PhD program who have a Master's degree in?Psychology (or equivalent) without a master's level thesis will not have their application considered.
Although applications are accepted on a continual basis, to be considered in the initial Admission & Funding decisions for the Fall (September) semester, you are encouraged to apply by FEBRUARY 1.
Interested students are encouraged to contact potential supervisors directly and before submitting an application for graduate study.
The first step in the application process is to complete the online graduate studies application form.
After you have submitted the online form along with the required $100 CAD application fee, you will be provided with an online account where you can complete the remaining steps of the application process which include uploading the required supporting documents and monitoring the status of your application.
After you have applied?
After you have submitted the online application form, you will be provided with instructions by email on how to log in to myinfo, where you will be able to review and upload the remaining and required supporting documents.
- An electronic reference form will be automatically sent by email to the references you identify on the graduate studies application form
- This form is requested in support of the applicant's ability to undertake advanced study and research
- For a list of program specific documents, please see this program's Additional Application Information section (if required, see above)
- For information about English test results, please see our Calendar